SEND information report
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities at Birkwood 2021-22
Birkwood Primary School is an inclusive school and believes that all children should be valued and treated with respect. We endeavour to ensure that the provision for all pupils is of the highest possible standard. We are committed to narrowing the attainment gap between children with SEND and their non-SEND peers and also those who are vulnerable at any stage of their educational life.
We want children to do their best, achieve, and be confident in their lives so they are prepared to move to their next stage in education.
The school works with due regard to the SEN Code of Practice (2015) and the Equality Act (2010).
What is a special educational need and/or disability?
The 2015 SEND Code of Practice states,
A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her and/or has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools.
The 2015 SEND Code of Practice also details, a disability under the Equality Act 2010 – that is ‘…a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities’.
As a parent, you are likely to be the first person to spot if your child needs extra support due to certain difficulties. This could be difficulties with:
- All of the work in school
- Reading, writing, number work or understanding information
- Expressing themselves or understanding what others say to them
- Making friends or relating to adults
- Following school rules
- Organising themselves
- Various health and/or physical needs which may affect them in school
If you have any concerns about your child’s progress or development, or would like more information about any aspect of Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities, please speak to Ben Froggatt, Deputy Headteacher.
Tel: 01226 710447
- 1.Key Information about SEND at Birkwood Sept 21
- 2.Additional learning support available for children with SEND Sept 21
- 3.SEND support in school our partnership with parents and children Sept 21
- 4.SEND Policy Oct 21
- 5.Additional support available for children with SEND Sept 21
- 6.Extra curricular activities available for children with SEND Sept 21
- 7.Staff expertise in supporting and working with children with SEND Sept 21
- 8.Supporting and improving the emotional and social development of children with SEND Sept 21
Information about Barnsley’s offer for SEND is available at www.barnsley.gov.uk/localoffer